Sakshatkar.com- Filmidata.com - Sakshatkar.org

Directors say cheers to Vodka Diaries.





Debutant director Kushal Srivastava’s suspense thriller – Vodka Diaries piqued everyone’s curiosity ever since the first teaser of the film was released.
Revolving around a series of murders all interlinked with the club Vodka Diaries, the film, which hinges on several twists and surprises and features Kay Kay, Raima Sen and Mandira Bedi in lead roles.

While Kay Kay plays ACP Ashwini Dixit, who is trying to solve the mystery in the film, the charming Raima Sen dons the role of a mysterious woman, who is always throwing a challenging at him and the beautiful Mandira Bedi is playing a poet in the film.

Praising his actors, the director says, “We shot the film in some challenging situations. Like freezing temperatures, no vanity vans, many times we had to hike up to our locations as the roads were blocked due to snowfall and no vehicles could go up to our locations, so the actors had to walk for 30-40 minutes to reach the sets. However, none of them ever complained, they were thorough professionals and gave their best every time the camera started rolling. Their involvement with the film was remarkable, and it all reflects in their stunning performance. All three of them are fantastic in the film and will leave you wanting more.”

Elaborating further on his actor’s professionalism, Srivastava says, “Kay Kay was always open to suggestions. You know often established actors don’t like to listen to suggestions from a new director, but my actors were always willing to do anything to make the film look better. Be it Raima, Mandira or Kay Kay, they always brought their best energies on the sets and never threw any tantrums or complained about anything ever.”

The film that releases on January 19, has already impressed prominent film personalities like Vishal Bhardwaj, Imtiaz Ali, Ashutosh Gowariker and Makrand Deshpande.

Here check out what they have to say about Kushal Srivastava's Vodka Diaries:

Vishal Bhardwaj
I was stunned to know that Vodka Diaries was shot in 20 days and yet the quality of the film is so good. The way the film is shot it doesn’t look like that the film is shot in such a short schedule. To shoot an entire film in 20 days is extremely tough, I know this because even my first film was completed in 24 days and that too was a children’s film, it was not like this one. So what they have achieved in 20 days is remarkable.
Also, the screenplay and the storytelling style of this film reminded me of David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive, I would say it is a huge achievement for a debutant director. It is a very brave film and I fell it will do very well commercially as well because there is a lot of intrigue in it.
Another thing I would like to point out is Kay Kay’s performance. Kay Kay has never got his dues as an actor from this industry or the audience and in Vodka Diaries he is just excellent. It is one of the most beautiful performances I have ever seen. Still, I think he is the most under-utilised actor, Kay Kay should be utilised more. The way he has performed in this film, it's a treat to watch him.
Now coming to the song ‘Sakhi Ri’, it is way too beautiful. Firstly, it is sung by Rekha and Rashid Khan Sahab, and to listen to both of them together was just amazing.
I wish everybody all the best and I think this film will do really well.

Ashutosh Gowariker
The film was a very big surprise for me. I think the plot was incredible. I can’t believe that this is the debut film of director Kushal Srivastava. The plot kept me guessing throughout. I think this genre is a very difficult and Kushal managed to keep us engaged from start to end. It is a difficult genre and he (Kushal) pulled it very well. It is a very unusual film and Kay Kay’s performance is stupendous. I think everyone should watch this film. Mysteries are very difficult to make. I think the plus point of this kind of a film is that it keeps you engaged and guessing. We see the big-ticket movies also and I think we should also see different genre because that’s where the cinema keeps evolving. So, I think the audience should go and see it. They give more encouragement to filmmakers to try different things. So, I think Vodka Diaries falls in that category. I am very happy to see the film and I am going to wish the entire team all the success with the film.

Imtiaz Ali
Vodka Diaries was very interesting. It was very intriguing. It held interest right through. Many of the things that happened in second half and first half, I couldn't have thought of. I am very happy that Kushal has made a film which is very unlike the films which are usually made in Hindi and I wish that they make more films which are based on intrigue and suspense like this. I think the conception of the entire film and the way Kushal has done the scenes are very interesting. I wish him all the best. And it's always a pleasure to see Kay Kay on screen. Here as well he manages to bring a very humane aspect to a performance which is actually very complicated even to kind of understand it and play it. It has many many layers in it and he has obviously done it very interestingly.

I was also surprised by the ease with which Mandira Bedi was acting. I had not known her to be an actor before this. That was nice and intriguing. There were very intriguing and invigorating bursts of energy in cinematography, that was very interesting. It was a very interesting experience watching this film.

Makrand Deshpande
I think kamaal hai yeh film. It is just brilliant. When I was watching the film, I had Ashutosh Gowariker on my one side and Imtiaz Ali on another, and we all three said it is so tough to make a film like this that keeps the viewer engaged from start to end. Also for an actor to play a part like this is extremely challenging and Kay Kay was fantastic. I feel if Irrfan, Nawazuddin or Manoj see this film they will say, ‘Yaar hume karna chahiye.’ I think it’s not only a great attempt but also a successful attempt by the director and the writer for his first film. This genre is very fresh and more filmmakers should explore it because we have actors who can really hold the audience.

I think Kushal has arrived. I think I should tell him to cast me. I think he has understood the pace of the film and khaaskar ke towards the interval point and then the second half, he doesn't let you move. He just shakes you up. The film manages to hold your interest. It just gets you in. I think the background score is very good and Kay Kay is exceptional. It’s thrilling. Aisi film banti nahi hai and I feel everyone should go watch this one.

Vodka Diaries is produced by Vishal Karkera, Vishal Raj, Kushal Srivastava, Atul Pupneja and Vivek Sudhindra Kulshrestha under the banner K'Scope Entertainment Pvt Ltd and Vishalraj Films & Production Pvt Ltd.